Healthcare Education Event — ALL Nassau County Members Welcome
The January 12th Education Meeting
(begins at 6:30pm) will prepare members for League Consensus meetings — meetings to decide concurrence with two new proposed positions, one on healthcare and one on healthcare financing. If you missed the PWM Consensus meeting on January 6 but want to participate in the Consensus process, it’s possible you may have another opportunity: please write LWVofPortWashingtonManhasset@gmail.com to express your interest and also plan to attend this Education meeting which will:
- Please review PDF highlights of the 50 pages of Study Materials PDF, including research that supports the new positions
- Preview between the current positions (adopted in 1991) and the proposed positions, and
- Offer opportunities to ask questions about important healthcare issues, where the League stands, and why
- Spend most of its time on Q&A, led by members of the LWV NYS Study Committee
The LWV NYS Study Committee, charged by the 2019 State Convention with reviewing and updating our NYS health positions, spent a year creating Study Materials and drafting the two proposed positions. As you know, LWV NYS positions do not focus on specific legislation, but rather provide guidance and criteria to the League in determining what legislation to advocate for or against.
Materials you may find useful to read or peruse before the Education Meeting can be downloaded here:
- “Participant Guide Consensus”—lays out the key changes between the current and proposed positions, also available on LWV NYS home page in slightly longer version, along with Facilitator Guide.
- “Current and New Positions with Footnotes” — Proposed positions, with footnotes that explain changes, adjacent to current positions. (Also available in the Study Materials.)
- “Healthcare Study Materials” —50 pages, useful background on health policy issues. Choose the topics that most interest you from the Table of Contents.
- “Consensus & Concurrence” — one page on objectives & LWV process
For more information, please write LWVofPortWashingtonManhasset@gmail.com